Sunday, June 29, 2008

Israel Gurion and me




Sometimes dreams do come true. Every summer, when I was growing up in Canada, my parents would send me to "Camp Massad", a Hebrew-speaking summer camp near Winnipeg. My fondest memory of the camp is learning Israeli songs (I still have the mimeographed "shirron" dating back to the early '60s), among them "Erev Shel Shoshanim", written by Moshe Dor. In 1976 I married Shulamit Sapir, a marvelous Israeli writer (click the link to see her poems in Hebrew and English), and several years later met Moshe Dor himself. The song "Erev Shel Shoshanim" was popularized by the duet called "The Dudaim", Benny Amdursky (now deceased) and Israel Gurion. Several years ago, I met Israel Gurion, through Rinat Emanuel, the singer who performed in a cabaret of my wife's poetry. Israel is one great guy, and I have since performed "Autumn Leaves" with him on several occasions. But the biggest thrill for me was singing "Erev Shel Shoshanim" with him in 2006 at the Givatayim Theatre, at the storytellers' festival organized by Yossi Alfi. The sound wasn't too great (you can judge for yourselves), but singing "Erev Shel Shoshanim" with Israel Gurion is a dream come true. Enjoy the links!!!

No comments: