Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mel with Smell - The New Smelly Book Collection

Mel takes off for Bologna's International Children's Book Fair


In a week and a half, I should know whether the work we've done over the past two years has been worthwhile. By the work, I mean a labor of love: preparing eight (!) children's books, illustrations and all, for the children's book fair in Bologna. Together with our potential partners in the UK (The Smelly Book Company), we are having smells applied to each of the books in different parts of each story. The smells include good ones such as orange, chocolate, and grass, and less pleasant ones such as garlic, tuna fish, etc.

Will we succeed? I have no idea, but I sure hope so. Kids loved my previous children's stories (Bacteria Galore by Sunday at Four, and The Talking Toothbrush). I have been working with another outstanding illustrator (Rotem Omri) and we have edited each story carefully. Three of the stories comprise the Dr. Cluck series, three titles are about tooth fairies, one is about a dragon who falls in love with ice cream, and the final one is a secret (you have to read it).

Our original idea was to create a website that would bring the stories to children around the world (for free, of course). That website, http://www.meltells.com/ is up and running, with pages that flip, books that fly, narration and song, the whole nine yards. The dream of turning these colorful e-books into real books started about a year ago when a new British company, specializing in adding odours to books, suggested that we join forces.

So if you are attending the Bologna Children's Book Fair, please follow your nose to my smellicious books. Come say hello. Put in an order to buy a few (thousand). At least tell me what you think.

Wish me lot's of luck. It's my first children's book fair. Let's hope it's the first of many.




No comments: